The scoring process is determined by the answers provided in 14 categories. The scores earned in each category are then added together to get an Overall Score. The highest possible score is 100 points.
To see the questions we ask just click on the individual category.
- What are the fees that the company charges?
- Are there any hidden fees?
- Is the fee based on the debt amount or the amount saved?
- Are there any up-front fees or legal fees?
Transparency/ Disclosures/ Compliance
- Is the company transparent with their successes and their failures?
- Are they disclosing the pros and cons of debt settlement?
- Are they in compliance with the FTC’s TSR rules?
Length in Business
- How long has the company been in business?
- What is the company’s rating with the Better Business Bureau?
Accreditations (BBB, IAPDA, AFCC)
- Is the company accredited with the Better Business Bureau?
- Are any or all of the employees properly trained by the IAPDA? (International Association of Professional Debt Arbitrators)
- Does the company have any affiliations with any trade associations?
- Is the company web site current, professional, and contain useful information?
Program Time Frame
- What are the projected time frames available to complete the program?
- What is the company’s average time to complete a client?
Average Reduction after Fees
- What is the average amount saved from the client’s debt amount at time of enrollment?
Up Front Fees
- Does the company charge any up-front fees of any type whatsoever?
Number of States Available
- How many states does the company provide services in?
Consumer Debt or Business Debt or Both
- Does the company provide services for consumers, businesses, or both?
Minimum Debt Amount
- What is the minimum debt amount allowed?
Sales Pressure/Customer Service
- Is the company aggressive and use high pressure to attain new clients?
- Are the sales people friendly, knowledgeable, and provide good customer service?
Service In House or Outsource
- Is the sales company the same company that also negotiates and settles the debt or are they just a sales force that passes the customer over to another company for service?